Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Birthday thoughts

It's my birthday today! Thanks to all the well-wishers who remembered. Someone actually sent me a birthday greeting but I dunno who it is. The number is 96253996. Its too embarrassing to ask the person who it is, so if anyone knows, drop me an email.

My thoughts on turning 26? Its nothing to shout about - I am officially in my "late twenties", which sucks, but still I can pass off for 16, which also sucks, especially when I'm meeting clients. I'm ambivalent about the whole thing - I'm happy with the way my life is going but not satisfied with the pace, i.e I wish I could become more successful faster. So at the risk of sounding like TM on a good day, I'm going to write all the negative things about getting older, if only to spur myself...

At 26, I have failed to:
1) Conquer half the known world [ Alexander the Great, at 26, had already united Greece and conquered Persia, and would continue to conquer the lands beyond until his death at 33]
2) Develop a new theory about physical law [ Albert Einstein, in fact, did all his best work at 26, which includes the Special Theory of Relativity, Electromagnetic Theory of Light, and the famous E= mc2]
3) Create a revolutionary way to search the Internet [Larry Page and Sergei Brin were 25 when they created Google, which used their patented PageRank engine]

On the positive note, I have several years to go before I:
1) Become a billionaire [ Bill Gates became a billionaire at 31, Michael Dell at 33, Jerry Yang at 35]
2) Change the way people communicate, learn, work and play [ Tim Berners Lee invented the World Wide Web at 34]
3) Climb Mount Everest [Edmund Hillary was 34 when he became the first man to reach Everest]
4) Create a fantasy world that resulted in 6 blockbuster movies, hundreds of books and comics, and millions of fans [George Lucas filmed Star Wars: A New Hope at 35]

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

yes of cos!

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home