Sunday, October 15, 2006

Pirates Game

Its funny how there are somethings in your childhood you just don't want to grow out of. Some people continue their childhood hobbies into adulthood, some people take their passion and turn it into an occupation. Games have always been a big part of my life, even though I can safely say my parents never really splurged on me that much. Most of the games I played were PC games. Never had any console games - I had to go to my cousin's house to play.

In secondary school the interest turned to comics, and later on the highly addictive collectable card game called Magic. It was Wei Ning who introduced us to the game, but later on it was the bunch of us - Jun, TM, Adrian Mah, Kangwei and myself who actively traded and played the game amongst ourselves. The Magic game is still hugely popular today. If you ever go by Bishan MRT, and you see a bunch of schoolboys sitting at some corner playing some card game - well, we used to be like that.

It has been many eons past since we picked up our Magic decks, but we would still go to the comics stores to check out the new stuff that comes out. So it was 1 fine day after dinner at Cineleisure, TM and I popped by the Comics Mart there. And we saw this display featuring some Pirates card game. And it looked damn cool, because in every single pack of cards, you could build 2 ships, get gold coins and a mini dice!!

A part of me said, I'm way too old to be interested in this. But another part of me said, heck, its a game that allows you to build little pirate ships!!!

So it has been about a month since we each bought 2 packs of cards, and as TM and I predicted, Jun is slowly spending his entire savings on the cards. But we haven't looked back. Its pretty popular in Singapore apparently, and I like the gameplay - you need a combination of good cards, luck and tactical awareness to win.

Part of my 'fleet'
The game is about using a combination of ships and crew not exceeding a pre-defined total points. So it doesn't matter how many ships you have, you can only play a limited number. And you have to maneuver them along the surface to different islands to collect gold or destroy enemy ships.

Jun's Spanish Armada coming after my British Warship
So if you think about it, it isn't much different from the Sandbox models that they use in the military, where they move toy troops and tanks around to simulate the actual warfare and tactics. But this is much cooler, because its about Pirates!! TM's gf said that we were caught in a time-warp. I guess that is true in a way, but doesn't everyone like to do something that reminds them of their childhood once in a while?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home