Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Cheap booze and tequila

Mexico Day 5
The conference had ended. No guide, no hotel, no free transport. I moved in with Edgar, with of Gil's friends the night before, and went to the Monterrey Tech with him to meet Gabriel and gang.

The campus interior
I must say the campus is very nice. Spacious and beautiful. Gabo brought me to see a few people who might be interested in my software. Met the Head of the Incubation center and he said something quite telling. The people I've met so far, what I've seen in the University, are just like the 2% of the population. That is not Mexico. Most of Mexico is poor, and the people are not like whom I've met so far, as I was to find out in the next few days.
Evening was spent with Edgar and his friend Ricardo. That's when I realized drinking was so cheap! I bought the drinks - 4 beers and 2 cocktails for 224 pesos, about $35 sing. No wonder they drink so much!


Mexico Day 6
I went to take the famous Tequila Express, a train ride that would take you to the town of Tequila (the place which produces the drink), with the promise of endless tequila drinking (or so I thought). It started off very well, with chio bus and mariachis.

Got to see the beautiful landscape. Saw a number of shanty towns, and there was one which had a horse galloping through it, just like the movies!

cornfields and beautiful mountains

Agave fields
Arrived at the Tequila factory, and was guided through the whole tequila production process, which was interesting. Up to this point, we had been served a tequila soda, kid's stuff. Still no tasting of tequila. Maybe lunch time would be different.

Jimador harvesting the agave

Tequila being aged... gimme gimme!

Lunch
Lunch was good. You can see the tequila (white liquid) and sangrita (red liquid, a chaser made of tomato juice and other stuff). But that's all the tequila I got!! I was like "what the heck"?! Apparently they toned it down to make it more family oriented! And apparently, this wasn't even Tequila. It was Amarita, a town outside Tequila. I don't recommend going on this Tequila Express, especially not for US$70. They made it up with mariachis, folk dancing and stuff, but wasn't really what I was expecting.

The Entertainment
Made friends with a bunch of retired Americans though. About 4 couples. Nice folks. I have this to gripe though - "WHY IS IT THAT IT IS ALWAYS THE YANKS WHO ASK IF SINGAPORE IS IN CHINA?" Everytime I go to the U.S someone will ask me that question. WTF. Another asked me,"So how is Singapore doing now that the British have left?" Hello... the British left 60 years ago! And we are doing well, no thanks to them British, who deserted us and left us to the Japanese. Well done griping for now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh, you didn's miss much ah.. tequila is like the grossest drink man!!! OK OK.. so you were at THE tequila factory.. but still..

On another note, luckily I haven't had any Americans ask me if Singapore was in China yet. Just get a lot of people marvelling that WOW PEOPLE IN SINGAPORE SPEAK ENGLISH!!! I think white people need to be educated that yellow-skinned does NOT NECESSARILY EQUATE TO BAD SPOKEN ENGLISH NOR BAD WRITING SKILLS!!!

K, that's my rant for the day :D :D :D

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home