Thursday, September 22, 2005

S.N.A.G

I was travelling with Wu Dan (my permanent intern), and he mentioned to me that SNAG, a new local men's magazine, was started by his friend, a computer engineering undergrad who got funding from NUS. SNAG stands for Sensual New Age Guy, and its supposedly about dating. Firstly, I've got to admire the guy's guts. I think that the Magazine industry is a cutthroat business, and you really have to have the network before you can even think about starting a magazine. But SNAG is just wrong for so many reasons:

1) Another men's magazine? How to compare with the foreign ones, like Maxim and FHM? And even then I think the local versions of those magazines suck.

2) A magazine about dating... No self-respecting guy would be caught dead with a magazine that shows that he needs help in dating! A magazine should reflect machoness, or coolness, or style, not "I need help!". The concept is totally wrong.

3) Acronyms are just not cool anymore, no matter how clever you coin it. But at least its still better than the other local mag - "NewMan". Sounds like "Semen". Who the hell buys that thing?!

4) There aren't enough babes in Singapore as cover girls! You'll probably get about 10 issues worth... then start worrying.

Well, I can't criticize it much further cos I haven't read it, and as a fellow entrepreneur, I wish the mag all the best. But you won't see me buying a copy for sure.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't get too worked up. magazines like that are all CRAP anyway. like women's magazines. i don't understand how people can read that same 'ol shite month after month after year after year after decade.. k, u get the idea.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Nay, not getting worked up. All these magazines do cater to a particular market segment. However, this mag is another wannabe, and that's why I don't think it'll work.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. Here it is. Presenting... the guailan kiddo (in black singlet) who totally reminds me of you!!! Cos he looks like you, not cos of the guailan part. HAHAHA...

http://cmussa.org/gallery.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=6095

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home